Thursday 1 January 2009

Sibling Rivalry 2

As I said previously, I felt there was always a rivalry between my sister and I and now that I have two children of my own I am aware of the possiblilty of it developing in my children.

My son is a lot like I was. He is headstrong and full of life. He makes sure everyone knows when he shows up somewhere. He is adorable but energetic and far more grown up than his age would indicate. He is also caring and gentle and he does his best to look after his little sister. I can see that he loves her dearly.

My daughter reminds me more of my sister. She laps up the attention when she gets it but she loves watching life (mainly her brother) rushing around her. She is a thinker. and she resists change. She is driven to achieve but she's also cautious of the unknown and it has made some things with her more of a challenge than they were for her brother.

I can see that my son charges about in his own little world, occasionally pausing to check his sister is alright. Whereas my daughter can be overwhelmed by new experiences. I have never had worries about my son settling into being away from me when he starts school but I can already see that my daughter will find it harder. However I suspect that once they get there, my daughter will thrive whereas his impulsivness and energy could either be his making at school or his road to downfall. I hope it will be the former.

They are so different in these ways that I can see the chances for rivalry to develop are quite likely. I just hope they are able to work together, helping each other with their strengths and their weaknessess. There is no need for them to be a rival and so far they aren't but it is something I will be watching for.

No comments:

Post a Comment