Saturday 3 January 2009

So what's in a name?

I have always believed that there is great importance to the meaning of a person's name. I don't believe that our parents choose our names but that God gives the name he wants to our parents, even if they don't realise it. My name, Rachel means Ewe as in female sheep and this has always been a source of annoyance to me as it prompts people into lots of jokes. Especially when I was with my ex who being a welshman also was the butt of many sheep jokes himself. Most of the time we both went along with the jokes even to the point of me suggesting we name our son Owen which means little lamb but that was where he drew the line.

To be honest I'm glad we didn't decide to go that way as it wouldn't have suited our son at all and like I said it has always irritated me that my name also holds this meaning. I know that Rachel was someone in the Bible who looked after the sheep and so this is why it has the link but the name does not mean shepherdess it means ewe. I have always had the image of sheep as being quite stupid animals. Stupid and boring. This is probably best illustrated in the film, Babe. Once again, sheep being used as an illustration of humour.

Since living in Wales, and yes therefore seeing a lot more sheep than I would normally, I have been thinking about this again and I see another side to it. Sheep are also a symbol of endurance and quiet strength. They are left in fields all winter getting on with their life of eating grass despite the freezing temperatures and biting wind. THAT has to be something which is to be admired and it is this image which I feel is quite appropriate.

My son's name means firery warrior and I can see an endless strength in him which would make him a good leader in the future and my daughter's name mean's heather which also is a symbol of endurance as well as beauty. I feel that these are both appropriate to their personalities and I look forward to seeing them grow into their names as they get older. I had another child too who's name means dark messenger from God and losing her has definitely resulted in me learning some tough lessons from God. I feel that her name was also given to her by God. After all, the Bible does say that God knows each of us by name and that he knows us from inside our mother's womb. Therefore it would make sence that he know's our name before our parents have chosen it. So what does your name mean and what does that mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment